fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] GPL query

From: Luke Taylor
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] GPL query
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:21:55 +0000

Hi all,

I was hoping that somebody could clarify for me the reach of the GPL. I am developing a complex system for University, much of which is required to be proprietary. I am interested in using the GPL licensed "PYQT" framework to make a GUI for this proprietary system. Would this be allowed?

In an interpreted language, what counts as "statically linked" and what doesn't seems really blurry. I guess that if the proprietary system sent and recieved data from the PyQT based GUI via ethernet packets then all would be well but if the connection between the two modules of software was more like library function calls then it would not? Can any legal eagles clarify the situation for me.

Luke