Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BSD

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BSD
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:34:10 +0100

On 09/06/11 04:58, Luke Taylor wrote:
> Hello folk,
> I've been reading up on the *BSDs and I need to ask. In the opinion
> of the people on this list, is FreeBSD objectively the one true
> path?

The FreeBSD kernel contains non-free bits:
You could build your own kernel and/or apply the Debian patches to
remove/disable the non-free parts.

FreeBSD is listed on the FSF's "Meet the free software gang":

You could try the "technology preview" of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD which has
GNU userland with the *k*ernel of *FreeBSD*: