fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Gaming and hardware

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Gaming and hardware
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 10:35:12 +0000

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 03:10:58PM +0000, Rob Johnson wrote:
  I'm taking the plunge and selling my desktop PC, fancy graphics card and
  all. For now I'll be using my fairly modern Thinkpad laptop, and turning
  down the graphics options or playing simpler games.  I was wondering
  whether to replace the laptop, or invest in some kind of mini-PC, but it
  seems that everything is a pretty big compromise, in freedom terms.

For desktops I think there are various boards which it's possible to
install coreboot or Libreboot onto
https://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards

  Does anyone bother with gaming, and what are you experiences, what
  hardware do you use?  I know people have used Intels NUCs - is anyone
  still using one, and how is that working out?

I don't do any amount of gaming. On very rare occasions I might run
Flightgear, but that's about it. On the last couple of laptops I've had
Intel graphics and havn't had any issues with 3D acceleration.

  On a slightly related note, I've been following progress on the EOMA68
  computer card, which someone said they had backed (I'm assuming the Libre
  Tea version).  If you don't mind me asking, what do you see yourself using
  it for?

The EOMA68 has a specification similar to a Cubieboard2 and so will only
be suitable for basic stuff. Some web browsing. IRC/XMPP. It will probably run
Emacs or vim quite well. Probably not good as a development machine,
although it depends on the type of development. In the past I have tried
compiling a kernel on Cubieboard2 and it takes a *long* time.