g-wrap-dev

Re: Initial thoughts.

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Initial thoughts.
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:55:10 +0200

Hi Rob,

One more thought I had last night.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Rob Browning wrote:

[... shared libs bla bla ... ]
>     Honestly, right now, off the top of my head, I don't recall where
>     all this eventually ended up (i.e. what we might need to do on the
>     g-wrap side, and what might still need to be done on the guile
>     side).  Also, there may or may not still be some outstanding
>     issues with respect to dynamic-link (via libtool dlopen) and its
>     lack of a versioned "ltdl_open".

How about this. We have to change the library name anyway for different
languages. Why not make each separate version of guile a different
language? So you have libgwrap-guile-1.6 and libgwrap-guile-1.8 (I don't
want to think about 1.4 :). Then you have different pkg-config files, so
all you need to do in the configure.ac is

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GWRAP, gwrap-guile-1.6 > $required_gwrap_version)

Or, or, or or or, you can go with not mangling the name and putting it
in a versioned dir, and have the pkg-config file (still with a mangled
name) pass -L directories as appropriate.

These sound like nice quick workable solutions. Messing with sonames
sounds painful, even if Correct.

Regards,

wingo.