g-wrap-dev

Parallel installability with 1,3,4?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Parallel installability with 1,3,4?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:40:36 +0200

Hey Rotty,

I just installed g-wrap to /usr/local, to facilitate guile-gnome
testing. I had the 1.3.4 debian package installed as well. Using (g-
wrap) picks up the 1.3.4 version, but (g-wrap guile) finds 1.9.1. Of
course when (g-wrap guile) looks for (g-wrap), it finds the old version
also.

In short, the libraries are not parallel-installable. How do you propose
to fix this? Will g-wrap 1.9.x offer an exact replacement for the old
API? This seems like unnecessary work to me, if you can make the
packages parallel-installable. I can't think of a good way to do that,
though. Unless maybe we spend time with gnucash to upgrade them or move
them to a namespace that doesn't conflict with the mainline. Or perhaps
identify what subset of the API they use, produce something equivalent
and guaranteed to be stable through the 2.x series, and move them to
that. Because otherwise, who uses g-wrap 1.3.4?

I really wish one could pass parameters to modules as they are used,
e.g. version.

I ended up uninstalling gnucash, as I don't really have money to
track ;) That's not an option gnucash folks would like to hear,
though :P
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
http://ambient.2y.net/wingo/