gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: pagewidth

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: pagewidth
Date: 18 Dec 2001 17:04:48 -0500

Greetings!

address@hidden writes:

> I compiled your program, got:
> C:\>gcc pw.c
>
> C:\>ls a*
> a.exe
>
> C:\>a
> 4096 12

OK, so I think it would be best to #define PAGEWIDTH 12 in your
gnuwin95.h file.  Even with this value, DBEGIN is still way off.

> What files are the full configure output?

No files unfortunately.  If you have the program 'tee' you can
./configure | tee config.out.  Alternately, just ./configure
>config.out.

> Another question, why are we trying to use a number for the start
> of available memory, instead of using brk?  Isnt this implementation
> dependent?  Once the program is started and all the shared libraies loaded,
> wouldnt brk give us the value to start with for malloc, possibly
> after we round up?  Also, dont we have to mmap, memory over the program
> end?

I'm rather mystified by this design too.  I think it may just be an
age thing.  In any case, we might want to play with this idea in
2.5.0.  I think its too big a change for 2.4.1, which I would like to
get working with as few changes as possible on as many platforms as we
can.  Personally, I think the whole thing needs a bit of a rewrite,
but we have to be careful, and time our changes properly.

Take care,