gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] garnet

From: dan . stanger
Subject: [Gcl-devel] garnet
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:42:09 -0700 (MST)

Currently, there is no reason why garnet could not run on ms windows,
as xfree86 runs on windows using cygwin and garnet uses clx.
I investigated garnet several years ago, and then it was a complete
gui development environment, with a object system.  It had some
very good ideas, and was easy to work with.  I was able to build it
with cmu lisp, and clisp.  It was also stable when I used it
and there is still a active user base.
Also, there are c bindings for clx, for clisp, which probably could be
integrated into gcl.  There is also a project to create a xlib for
ms windows.  Also, garnet works on pre v10 macintosh, so the underlying
window system cannot be that critical.  Once we get gcl working on ms
windows, and a working clx for gcl, then we can see what it will take
to build garnet.
Dan Stanger