gcl-devel

Re: [Maxima] Fw: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on ms windows

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Maxima] Fw: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on ms windows
Date: 21 Mar 2002 11:38:24 -0500

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm pleased to announce that I now have a native Win32 (text mode only)
> build of Maxima 5.9 as well as GCL 2.5, both based on the latest CVS
> sources.  The build was hosted under Cygwin using the standalone Mingw32 1.1

Fantastic!

> gcc compiler.  I have done some simple polynomial factorisation, linear and
> non-linear equation manipulation, linear algebra and integration to do a
> first, successful, check of the viability of this setup.
>
> Thanks to Camm (various bits of help), Rainer Keuchel (for the memory
> checking code from his WinCE/32 port of GCL and inspiration) and Dan Stanger
> (pointer about fasd format switch and other knowledge bootstrapping).

Could you please point me to the memory checking routine in Rainer's
work?  This could be quite useful, I think.  And your reference to the
fasd format regards the binary/text options for the data files, right?
Just trying to assimilate what you've learned!

> In compiling Maxima, I found that there is a bug in GCL's MAKE-PATHNAME
> function which I have not had time to fix - it doesn't handle executable
> names with .exe extensions properly.  I worked around this by using
> STRING-RIGHT-TRIM on the result of SI::ARGV in "init_max1.lisp".

OK, this should be straightforward.  Once we complete your registering
as a developer, would you mind submitting this and any other
suggestions you might have to the website?  It might prove to be a
useful tool to make sure no issues get lost.  I've submitted this
under a new public task called 'Bugs'.

> I will be unable to do anything further on this for a couple of days, but I
> hope to check everything into CVS as soon as possible.
>
> I guess after that the next steps will be:
>
>   - making the help system work (more path trouble I think),
>   - making binaries available for testing,
>   - reviving XMaxima,
>   - tuning the configuration process, and
>   - using MSYS rather than Cygwin to host the build.
>
> I make no promises on time frames for this list.

Great!

Take care,