gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] GCL - advice for windows use?

From: Jonathan M. Hill
Subject: [Gcl-devel] GCL - advice for windows use?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:58:51 -0400

Hello developers;

     I hope this is the correct place to post this.  I have a friend who
has an interest in Maxima.  The Maxima webpage suggests GCL, so I thought
I'd start there.  Advice regarding the options to run GCL and/or Maxima
under windows would be appreciated.  As an alternative to GCL, would you
suggest CLISP?

     I attempted to build GCL using the cygwin tools but hit a snag.
I have cygwin on a Windows 2000 machine as well as cygwin on a Windows XP
machine.  However, for X windows support (if needed?), I have StarNet.

     Under cygwin the configure program completed nicely.

     The build fails however.  I'll insert only the last few lines
from the build.

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gcl-2.4.3/o'
gcc  -fwritable-strings  -DVOL=volatile  -I/usr/src/gcl-2.4.3/o -fsigned-char
-c
 -O  -I../gcl-tk -I../h/   unixsave.c
In file included from /usr/include/stdlib.h:19,
                 from unexnt.c:52,
                 from unixsave.c:32:
/usr/include/alloca.h:14: warning: `alloca' redefined
../h/include.h:41: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from unixsave.c:32:
unexnt.c: In function `allocate_heap':
unexnt.c:973: invalid lvalue in assignment
make[1]: *** [unixsave.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gcl-2.4.3/o'
make: *** [all] Error 2
/usr/src/gcl-2.4.3>

     In line 973 of unexnt.c it appears that DBEGIN may not be defined.
Any advice will be appreciated.
                                           Jonathan Hill
                                           address@hidden