gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] proposed commit

From: Peter Wood
Subject: [Gcl-devel] proposed commit
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:57:10 +0200

Hi

As requested by Camm, I am going to be consulting with the list before
making my first few commits...

A while back, Mike Thomas wrote:

   Under Mingw32 compiled GCL there is now a new function returning
   the system time zone.  The function is called GET-SYSTEM-TIME-ZONE
   and theoretically should return a value between -12 and +12 which
   is the number of hours to be added to the local time to get GMT.

<snip>

   Once someone writes a Unix equivalent function it should allow the
   removal of explicit time zone references in the startup scripts."

I have written a Unix equivalent which should work anywhere using Glibc.
It returns -2 for my locale (CEST) which is correct.  The manual says
about the tm_gmtoff struct slot that:

  The `tm_gmtoff' field is derived from BSD and is a GNU library
  extension; it is not visible in a strict ISO C environment.

So I have protected the changes with '#if defined __GNUC__' in
unixtime.c In the init script, I changed the initialization of
si:*default-time-zone* to be conditional on the function
#'get-system-time-zone being bound (which will be the case on MINGW32
or anywhere using Glibc).

I have attached the changes as diffs.  Any objections to my committing
this?

Regards,
Peter