gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.5.3 is released

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.5.3 is released
Date: 04 Jun 2003 10:18:07 -0400

Hello again!

One other item - gcc-3.3 has introduced quite a few warnings now in
GCL which I'd like to cleanup.  Most are of the type:

warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

To my limited understanding, this refers to doing things like *(int
*)&a_float_variable.  I suppose the proper thing to do is to use a
union.  I don't understand the implication for the "strict aliasing
rules".  I'd be most appreciative if anyone on this list could
enlighten me as to what deleterious effects constructs such as the
above could produce.

Many thanks,