gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Value stack overflow bug

From: root
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Value stack overflow bug
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 21:45:42 -0400

Camm,

I rebuilt the lisp (gcl-2.5.2) with a larger VSSIZE and rebuilt the axiom
image but it turned out not to be the issue. I've finally solved the
make-database problem and can now reliably construct the multiple
databases. All of the underlying lisp problems appear to have been
solved. I've moved from 2.4 to 2.5.2 as the standard lisp. I solved
the *print-escape* problem (aka the *print-readably* problem) by
recoding the offending routines so they now work per the new language
standard. I've also reworked the *in-package* issue so it should now
work correctly in 2.5.2.

Unfortunately I've not yet solved the compile problem. Essentially the
issue is as follows: It was always the case that you needed a running
Axiom system to build a runnable Axiom system. I've been reworking the
system to fix this (as most people don't have a running Axiom). In order
for this to work you need to be able to bootstrap the Axiom compile
process. So far, though I've flattened a dozen issues, this still
remains unsolved.

This week I'm taking a different, temporary path. I'm building a working
Axiom that can be freely distributed and is derived from the source code.
However, it can't be built from the source code (yet). I hope to have it
available this weekend. I'm doing this for 3 reasons. First, it will
make Axiom available again. Second, it will allow users to generate
bug reports (hopefully one of the bugs will give us the clue to the
compiler problem). Third, some potential bright-spot of a developer
might be able to help with the compiler bug.

I'll let you know as soon as I complete the build, test it, and upload
it to tenkan.

Tim Daly
address@hidden
address@hidden