[Gcl-devel] GCL compliance with GNU GPL

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: [Gcl-devel] GCL compliance with GNU GPL
Date: 30 Jun 2003 13:47:37 -0400

According to <http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl>,
GCL (GNU Common Lisp) <http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/>
is covered by the GNU Lesser General Public License.

OTOH, GCL uses GNU readline for input, see e.g.,

GNU readline is covered by the GNU GPL, not GNU LGPL, therefore any
program that links with it must also be covered by the GNU GPL, see

Therefore GCL is in violation of the GNU GPL license.

I tried to bring this issue to the GCL's maintainers' attention in
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.gcl.devel/1622>, but to no avail.

Moreover, I was surprised to find out that GCL's license has been
"verified" (http://www.gnu.org/directory/GCL.html).
I wonder what the process of verification is.

It is conceivable that GCL has been granted a special dispensation to
use GNU readline and still be covered by LGPL, but this issue is not
clarified on the GCL web page.

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Time would have been the best Teacher, if it did not kill all its students.