gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Axiom and Maxima

From: root
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Axiom and Maxima
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:21:49 -0400

Jim,

I had an interesting discussion with Richard Fateman about testing.
It appears that we can combine Axiom and Maxima in a single image.
It would then be possible to run a function in Axiom at the
command prompt and also run the same function in Maxima from Axiom's
command prompt:

-> 2+2 => 4          <== execute in Axiom
-> )lisp (maxima)    <== the )lisp runs a lisp command
# 2+2 => 4           <== execute in Maxima
# quit               <== leave Maxima
->

This will greatly facilitate testing and also help the CATS effort along.
I'm not sure of the namespace collision issues but it seems like they
could all be worked out.

Camm,

Do you know if Maxima will load into an Axiom workspace?
What issues arise?

If this works we could easily make "cover domains" for Maxima's
functionality in Axiom.

I already have plans "in place" (see the
savannah website) to merge ACL2 in a similar way.

Tim Daly
address@hidden
address@hidden