gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL/GTK

From: Tim Daly, Jr.
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL/GTK
Date: 26 Aug 2003 15:23:32 +0200

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings!  Am very interested and you beat me to it!  I saw your name
> connected with this just a few days ago somewhere on the web, and have
> been meaning to ask you about it.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) Is this the 'latest and greatest"?  AFAIK, there have been several
>    attempts at a common lisp interface to gtk, mentioned on cliki I
>    believe.

There are two major GTK bindings in the CL world that I know of:
CL-GTK, and CLG.  CL-GTK does RPC over a socket or pipe, and CLG uses
UFFI.  I like the CL-GTK approach, personally, so it's what I play
with.  The version on tenkan.org is the newest (that compiles) that I
know of.

> 2) Any experience using this with glade?

No.

> 3) I'd like to import this into CVS HEAD.  LGPL fits in perfectly with
>    GCL.  Would the author like to volunteer as a GCL developer and
>    maintain this subtree?  It might facilitate keeping things
>    current.

CL-GTK is LGPL; you can import it into any CVS you want.  I hardly
maintain my personal CVS of it, so I'm not about to volunteer to
maintain anybody else's.  CL-GTK is meant to be as CL implementation
independant as possible, so I see no particular reason for it to be in
the GCL CVS unless the GCL developers are planning to maintain it, or
at least mirror development elsewhere.

The original author of CL-GTK is Gilbert Baumann, and he certainly
knows the ins and outs of it at least as well as I do.  I of course
cannot speak for him.

-Tim