gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 00:46:16 -1000

<address@hidden> writes:

> I've been following the discussion on sockets (thanks!) but my current
> application requires a server socket.   I've examined the GCL implementation
> of the server socket functions and have been able to create a server
> socket and accept a connection from a client on another machine.

I have this need as well - once connected, were you able to do anything
at all with the socket?  I get mixed results reading, and GCL terminates
on writing.  GCL 2.6.1 on Debian Woody w/2.2.25 kernel.

> What I'm confused about is how to take the results obtained from calling
> ACCEPT-SOCKET-CONNECTION and derive a pair of streams.

I'd like to do this, too, but after looking at the existing C socket code
that I can find in GCL and reading what Camm has to say, it seems it
some work needs to be done on the C side.  I am, when I can spend the
time, learning what I can about C socket programming on Linux.

> I did investigate the (somewhat) portable network functions contained
> in the Common Lisp Open Code Collection (CLOCC) on SourceForge,
> but the GCL implementation was incomplete.

Actually, the CLOCC stuff is what led me to looking at the GCL source.
I've hacked the essential bits of CLOCC to load into into GCL,
e.g. changed to physical vs. logical pathnames, using '+gcl' etc., and
tested/hacked one or two of the CLOCC network-related functions, but
came to a screeching halt on socket-server - thus to the source.

My goal is to get at least the CLOCC network stuff to 'drop in' to GCL,
then submit patches to the CLOCC maintainer.  (Did you see the CLOCC
maintainer's comment about his 'half-hearted' attempt to invludr GCL?
;-))

> So, I'd appreciate some guidance from the experts.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Tom Johnson

I'm in no way an expert on sockets *or* GCL, but I was thinking about
perhaps USER-DEFINED-STREAMs, but after looking into, I think before
that happens the underlying socket support needs some tweaking.

It just now occured to me to look at the source for SI::SOCKET (doh! -
I've been busy?) - surely the underlying C for that can be leveraged?

--
The louder he spoke of his honour, the faster we counted our spoons.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson