gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Boyer benchmark results

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Boyer benchmark results
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:02:11 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:

5) Paul, I was also a bit concerned with the posted results when you
   indicated that the clisp/cmucl ration should be 10x.  I just
   thought it worth noting that Peter gets 6.2x below, and with my
   rerun results without the printing I get 4.2x.  My machine is a
   dual 2.4Ghz Intel Xeon, and I'm wondering if we are seeing effects
   of differing memory bandwidths.

I'd make a small wager that the problem is cache.  The Xeon has a really
big L3 cache, doesn't it?  And I bet Boyer fits entirely within it.  That
could affect the results quite substantially.

        Paul