gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] README.macosx

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] README.macosx
Date: 19 Jul 2004 10:15:22 -0400

Greetings!  Aurelien, this document is absolutely fantastic.  This is
exactly what I was hoping for in the per port writeups.  God forbid,
should anything ever take you away from GCL, someone else might read
this and pick up where you left off.  Great job, and again, thank you!

When you are done with this, needless to say, we'll commit it asap.

A few comments/thoughts arose which I thought I'd might share:

1) We need to reroute malloc not only for speed, but also to avoid
   collisions with our sbrk allocations and/or holes in the heap,
   especially if we want to leave open the possibility of addressing
   the entire memory space.

2) I wasn't aware that dlopen was slower than bfd, but this seems
   plausible.  Perhaps the biggest disadvantage of dlopen wrt. bfd or
   custom relocation is the number of file descriptors consumed, which
   is severely limited in many environments.  This is a current
   problem for axiom, for example, where we do not yet have native
   relocation.  Likewise, say someone goes through a series of trial
   function files, compiling, loading, replacing, etc.  If the code is
   part of the heap, the natural gc process already written will clean
   up after the old loads.  With dlopen, one would need a complex
   additional layer trying to keep track of when pointers to the old
   load were still active, a layer which we do not yet have in place,
   and hopefully won't have to if we can extend our bfd and/or custom
   relocation work elsewhere.

Take care,