[Gcl-devel] Various questions about GCL

From: Goffioul Michael
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Various questions about GCL
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:36:53 +0200

I'm currently evaluating GCL for use in our internal project. It has some nice features for our
purpose but there are some issues and questions I'd like to ask. I put everything in one mail.
I'd be pleased to get some feedback/comments on these.
1) Would it be possible to make GCL embedded into a C library (preferably shared) such that
a 3rd party application could make use of GCL as an embedded computation engine? This
would mean to have an API to initialize/terminate the GCL engine, to convert between C types
and LISP objects, to "eval()" or "funcall()" arbitrary code. Our final target is actually to embed
a LISP engine into a MEX file such that our framework written in LISP can be accessed from
the MATLAB user interface.
2) Is there any FFI framework?
3) (make-hash-table :test #'equalp) is not supported
4) Code like the following does not compile:
(unless (find-package "MYPKG")
  (defpackage "MYPKG" (:use "COMMON-LISP")))
(in-package "MYPKG")
(export 'f1)
(defun f1 (x) (* x x))
It complains at "in-package" statement. If I enclose the first 2 top-level forms (unless, in-package)
into an "(eval-when (compile load eval) ...)" form, it compiles but doesn't load (after restarting GCL),
still complaining at "in-package" statement.
(Note: I'm using anonymous CVS version under Linux)
5) Would GCL compile/work under Win32/MSVC6?