gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: possible GCL/Windows compiler bug

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: possible GCL/Windows compiler bug
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:07:43 +1000

Hi Matt.

| These commands completed without error.  So perhaps there was
| just a quirk in
| the GCL build on Jared Davis's machine.

Perhaps.  I think I will ostrich-icate on this one.

| On the other hand, I repeatedly got this compiler error when I
| tried to certify
| books:
|
| cc1.exe: unrecognized option `-fno-zero-initialized-in-bss'
|
| Perhaps it's because I forgot to do this, or because I needed to
| point to the
| new mingw somehow:
|
| export PATH=/c/Progra~1/GCL-2.6.5-CLtL1/bin:${PATH}
|
| (Instead, I specified the new gcl explicitly in the make command
| I used for
| building ACL2.)

Yes, it is a path problem - GCL launches gcc without a path so whatever gcc
executable appears in the PATH first gets used.  The installed gcl and
gcl.bat scripts put the GCL distributed gcc bin directory first in the PATH,
but that will be defeated if you specify the gcl binary executable directly
rather than executing either of those scripts in the GCL installation bin
directory.

| But anyhow, I only use Windows to help with testing, and the
| error went away,
| so as far as I'm concerned, the case is closed.  Let me know if you need
| anything further.

Shall do.  The feathers are growing already and I see a nearby sand-dune, so
we should both be safe!

Cheers

Mike Thomas.