gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] GCL on Macosx

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Macosx
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:07:19 -0400

Greetings!  Would you two dedicated gcl/mac people like to volunteer
to help Aurelien look after the macosx port, presuming he is
interested in such an arrangement?  His work is outstanding, and he
has cvs write access.  I would suggest considering you both as gcl
developers, but some of you at least have expressed reservations about
complex C programming.

What we really need is some good testing and continual rebuilding
support with bug reports, particularly as CVS head changes quickly
(hopefully) in these summer months.  Aurelien is in complete charge of
the following files:

h/powerpc-macosx.c
o/unexmacosx.c
binutils/*/mach-o*
o/sfaslmacosx.c

and of course can contribute changes elsewhere, but hopefully with
some discussion and coordination beforehand.

There are two known macosx limitations which ideally can be fixed for
2.7:

1) Cannot build a working image with more than 512M heap
   (i.e. --enable-maxpage=262144)

2) SGC is broken.

Furthermore, I would like hopefully to

1) synchronize the sbrk emulation layer with other ports needing it
   i.e. mingw.

2) synchronize the sbrk emulation layer with the configuration magic
   setting heap starts, limits, stack sizes, etc.  Please see my other
   post to Mike Thomas about this.

I'm trying to make a little GCL push this summer, after which it will
likely develop much more slowly during the rest of the year.  It would
be great to have an active mac team during this time.

Take care,