gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: subtypep issues

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: subtypep issues
Date: 31 Aug 2005 13:41:43 -0400

Greetings!

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> > Whoops, I made a mistake reading the page for simple-array.  Yes,
> > you're right, you can do that.
>
> I want to add that you may not *want* to do it, if it forces
> array operations to be slow even if the program has a simple-array
> declaration.

Yes, it does seem as a construct to aid in array compilation
optimization.  The point to me is that I don't see the overwhelming
benefit given the definition, though there may be some.  The big issue
in our array optimization is to be able to know the element type, rank
and sizes to calculate references quickly.  This logic does not
depend on displacement as far as I can see, nor even if a fill pointer
exists as we use the same slot for the length whether or not it is an
adjustable fill pointer.  We don't inline adjust-array, though I
suppose we could.

It appears simpler at the moment to make simple-array == array.  It
won't be hard to separate these in the future if we see some benefit.
I've implemented this locally and am about to commit -- these with
other changes bring the failures under 1600.

To this end, the following tests may need adjustment:

+SIMPLE-STRING-P.4
+SIMPLE-STRING-P.7
+SIMPLE-VECTOR-P.10
+SIMPLE-VECTOR-P.11