gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: :go debugging command broken ?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: :go debugging command broken ?
Date: 17 Oct 2005 22:13:45 -0400

[ am forwarding this to gcl-devel as a reminder of work remaining ]

Greetings!  A few other usability ideas I don't want to forget:

1) auto-proclaim functions on compilation, or perhaps definition
2) inhale the gprof code from libc so we can use it without
   compiler::link
3) keep the lambda functions around post compile.  It would further be
   outstanding if we could use same definition automatically in the
   compiler as the inline definition when recognizable constant function
   arguments are passed.  This is the real win with inlining in the
   first place IMHO.  Could be prohibited with a no-inline
   declaration or proclamation.
4) Work on the info/describe lookup.  There has been some progress
   with ansi so we may be able to use the docs again.  We've figured
   out how to use pre-compiled regular expressions for very fast text
   lookups, you can see gcl_info for examples.  I'd like to get the
   sharp-u reader to automatically expand to (load-time-value
   (compile-regexp ...)), then one could just have #u"*.??[a-q]" in
   the lisp code and be done with it.

In general, my road map is -- fix the ansi failures, address some of
the usability issues, put in native relocation on ia64 and hppa, put
in fork-based plet with user-configuarble preallocation on the stack
(to minimize gc) and reading the result from the child in fasl form,
provide inlines for the built-in functions taking functional
arguments, (hopefully) accelerate the gc sweep with SSE instructions a
la icc, make sure we beat the other implementations on relevant
bechmarks then release :-).

Take care,