gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] announcement: Maxima 5.9.2 release

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] announcement: Maxima 5.9.2 release
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:

> Congratulations to all on the release!

Seconded!

> First take at the Debian package:
>
> 1) Where is the maxima book?

Maximabook is quite out of date as compared to the current Maxima, so
there was no particular point in including it.  Also, it was felt that
taking it out of the default cvs tree and giving it its own branch was
wiser given how large it is.  If there is still interest in having it
in Debian probably the thing to do is give it its own package, but I'm
not sure that its current state warrants this.

If someone wants to take over Maximabook I would certainly have no
objections - indeed I would be glad to see the work continued.  I'm
more or less shifting to Axiom now as I'm finding that a lot of the
things I regard as needing fixing in Maxima were part of the original
Axiom design, and its "design philosophy" and my own are a better match
than the current Maxima direction.  Axiom also needs a lot of work, but
its goals of making full use of strong typing, literate programming,
and other modern tools and techniques give it a strong appeal.  It does
have a steeper initial learning curve at present, but I think that can
be at least partially addressed and the rewards for climbing the curve
are considerable.

> 2) emacs mode appears broken, I get "maxima restarted" but no prompt.

Hmm.  Not sure what that would be - which of the three modes are you
in?  command prompt in Maxima, Maxima mode, or Emaxima mode (the latex
one)?

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com