[Gcl-devel] Re: A ha

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: A ha
Date: 04 Nov 2005 19:26:03 -0500

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I am finally starting to get it.
> If the value that the child wishes to return to the parent is not on the
> stack and if all the storage allocation of the child has been done on the
> stack, then the value in question must have been a valid pointer to an object
> back in the parent.  So far so good.
> But meanwhile the parent has been running.  Maybe the parent gave up all its
> pointers to the value in question and it got garbage collected or, even
> worse, allocated as something new.  It seems there needs to be knowledge of
> which objects are being passed to the child and a holding on to them in the
> parent, for gc purposes, until the child returns.
> Utterly ingenious.  I'm not sure I see it entirely clearly, but I see some of
> it.

Once I get this latest stuff committed, there is still at least one
issue outstanding -- returning unreadable objects, eg. hash tables,
compiled functions, etc. How much of an issue do you think this might
be?  The shortest way to get this that I can see would be to expand on
the fasdump format to walk these objects and write them in binary to
the stream, separated by appropriate escapes.

Take care,