gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: delete-file problem fixed

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: delete-file problem fixed
Date: 06 Jun 2006 17:51:45 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> > Should be fixed now:
>
> Yes it is fixed and thanks a lot!
>
> Feel free to ignore this mindless progress report: There
> seems to be a kind of weird tug-of-war going on that I do
> not yet understand.  Sometimes Nqthm proclaims some
> functions.  It now seems that as a result of this, GCL has
> decided that some functions in some files that have already
> been compiled with COMPILE-FILE should be recompiled
> sometimes during the LOAD of the .o file.  ????  However, I
> would naively tend to think that loading, with LOAD, a file
> previously produced with COMPILE-FILE should never cause a
> recompilation.  You can see this happening in the transcript
> below.  Suspiciously, that same Nqthm function we saw annoy
> us recently, 'OUR-GETCHARN' is getting into the action.

Yes, this is the intended behavior.  Recall that before, you had to
eliminate the proclaim of our-getcharn to avoid error.  Now, if you
compile some file containing form-count-evg with our-getcharn either
unproclaimed or mis-proclaimed, and then in some other image, compile
and load our-getcharn deducing thereby the correct signature, then try
to load the now incompatible old file continaining form-count-evg, it
will be automatically recompiled to avoid inconsistency.  This must be
done at load time, as the point of conflict is in setting incompatible
calls in the same running image, i.e. one could have compile-filed the
two separate source files in two separate images.

Those that change sig from nil were unproclaimed.  Those that change
to ((args) *) from ((args) t) either represent an insufficiently
aggressive type inference in the compiler, or a temporary condition
that should be cleared in the final recompile.

I can see that my earlier feeble attempt at explanation was a bit too
opaque -- my apologies.  While we may not be getting the best
signatures yet, this infrastructure, if it proves solid appears pretty
slick to me, though I am obviously somewhat naive :-).  Seems like
possibly a generic solution to the "interactive compilation problem".

You might also try proclaiming nothing at some point.

Take care, and thanks again!