gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: compiling at load

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: compiling at load
Date: 07 Jun 2006 13:59:34 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> My intuition is that a user would like to be able to compile
> a bunch files so "well" that loading them will (at least
> probably) not trigger any recompilation work.
>
> Maybe there needs to be a new function
>
>    (compile-files-well "foo.lisp" "bar.lisp")
>
> Or maybe this was part of the intuition behind the very
> dimly sketched ANSI feature:
>
>    with-compilation-unit
>
> Or maybe one just needs to do some repeated sequence of
> calls to LOAD and COMPILE-FILE and PROCLAIM.
>
> Dunno.  Just expressing an intuitive "want".

Agreed.  The problem is, in lisp, AFAICT, "well" or even "correctly"
is never *finally* determined.

Consider:

(defun foo (x) (declare (fixnum x)) x)
(compile 'foo)
(defun bar (x) (foo x))
(compile 'bar)
(setf (symbol-function 'foo) (lambda nil nil))
or
(setf (symbol-function 'foo) (compile nil (lambda nil nil)))

Flexibility has its price.

Take care,