gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: directory/truename transition

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: directory/truename transition
Date: 06 Jul 2007 13:37:36 -0400

Greetings!

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> I understand your reluctance to spend much time learning windows
> specific API details. In spite of limited available time, I am willing
> to help with this where/when I can, but my only real experience is
> that gained while working with Mike Thomas for a few months a few
> years ago on the previous version Axiom on Windows. I do not think I
> know enough about either Windows or GCL internals.

Many thanks for the kind offer.  It is much appreciated.  I can step
you through any issue with GCL internals, as I did Mike Thomas when he
was first starting.  But I do not wish to lay too great a burden here
as I'm sure you are quite busy.

My proposal is as follows -- if you can help here it would be great!

1) help debug read-char-no-hang to satisfy Vadim on 2.6.8
2) test mkdir et.al. auxiliary directory functions for axiom possibly
   to be ported to 2.6.8.
3) generate a 2.6.8 installer.

4) ignore 2.7.0 for mingw until someone shows real interest in it, at
   which time I'd be most happy to help.  2.6.8 will always be there
   to suffice, and decoupling 2.7.0 from mingw will liberate
   development.   Who knows, with any luck, Windows itself will go the
   way of histories dustbin by the time this is ever an issue.

Take care,

> > Now perhaps there is just a lower level api to which I could write
> > that would transparently be portable.  E.g. implementing directory via
> > readdir and opendir.  Re-implementing all the shell pattern matching
> > from scratch is certainly doable, but there should be some clear
> > benefit visible that would justify the work.  Its hard for me to see
> > at the moment.
> >

> Some of these things might be available in an MSYS library but I do
> not know how accessible or adaptable to gcl it would be. In any case I
> seriously doubt that it would end up being "transparently portable".
>
> > Please see related post regarding an extra-spec posix support function
> > proposal.
> >

> Yes, I think that's good. Now we just need to find resources to help
> implement this for gcl-2.7 on windows. I am also a little worried that
> because of the extensive differences in 2.7 memory management and
> other deep changes, there may be some more issues besides the file
> system waiting to be discovered in the windows port. :-( Has anyone
> actually attempted to build gcl-2.7 on Windows yet?

Mike Thomas did briefly, and the major issues were worked out at some
point.  But unless you know someone willing to put in the time at some
fraction of his level, I think the proposal above is the most sound.

Thoughts most welcome.

Take care,