gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCC 4.4 and strict aliasing

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCC 4.4 and strict aliasing
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:10:03 -0500

Greetings!

OK, a minimal bfd fix is in 2.6.8pre -- thanks Jerry!  I'd really
prefer to keep 2.6.8pre changes to very important bug fix minimal mods
only, given the lack of resources we have to maintain two branches.

I've followed Jerry's advise with a much more substantial configure.in
cleanup for cvs head, which should go in shortly.  It is still not
complete.  configure.in is too complicated, and the macro
interdependencies are difficult.  I was wondering whether this would
be better done with a series of .m4 files to use with aclocal, but am
not really familiar with the tool, and need to carefully judge the
time required.  At least acconfig.h can go (away) with the next
commit.  I'm not really sure if configure.ac is a more modern name, or
whether this implies any syntax changes.  Finally, the makefiles are
very fragile and really should go through automake, but this has ever
seemed a low priority.

Other Jerry patches which appear to fall into the 'critical breakage'
category are:

unrandomize -- which gcc cannot #include inside a function?  I've used
               this syntax forever.
getcwd
selinux ?
elisp

Please let me know if this assessment is faulty.

I'll try to upload a 2.6.7-46 debian package shortly to see where we
are on the new sid autobuilders.

Take care,