gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.8 ....

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.8 ....
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 10:02:23 -0400

Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:
>
> | Greetings!  Looking like the following:
> |
> | Debian/Ubuntu: (mips mipsel mipsel64 x86 x86_64 ia64 hppa sh4 ppc ppcspe
> alpha sparc
> |                 sparc64 hurd kfreebsd-86 kfreebsd-amd64 armel s390)
> |
> | (Now with native object relocation on win32, all macosx, and all the
> | above save ia64 and hppa)
>
> hi Camm,
>
> OpenAxiom svn has the rsym hach removed.  See below for one additoin.
>
> [...]
>
> | MacOSX 64:
> |
> | stock axiom     (not yet ported)
> | oa              untested (with rsym hack removes)
>
> checked.

Thanks.  Am doign so on ppc mac now.

> [...]
>
> | Corrections/additions to this table most welcome.  We should probably
> | include similar in the release notes and on the web page.
>
> One question: does compiler::*default-system-p* still control whether
> the built GCL uses a copy of its C header file from its image or from
> its system directory?  It is extremely convenient to be able to use GCL,
> `built on the fly as part of building AXIOM' without having to install it
> permanently on the target system.

In essence, yes.  The :system-p flag to compile-file, which defaults
to compiler::*default-system-p*, has two effects on the C output:

1) The .data file appended to the .o file is written in verbose
legible lisp, as opposed to the byte compiled 'fasl' form

2) The cmpinclude.h header contents, normally written at the head of
the .c file, is replaced with #include "cmpinclude.h".  A -I is
appended to the gcc command to point to the ../h dir relative to the
current setting of si::*system-directory*, which should point to the
location of the binary.  There are a few other paths which key off of
this one, so best to (reset-sys-paths ...) when moving the compiled
tree or installing.

In principle these items could be separate, but historically they have
gone together.