gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] unable to set up the help system

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] unable to set up the help system
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:25:18 -0400

Volker van Nek <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 12.10.2015 um 18:42 schrieb Robert Dodier:
>> On 2015-10-11, Volker van Nek <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> address@hidden:~/Maxima/git/151011$ rmaxima
>>> Warning: SIMPLE-WARNING: Maxima is unable to set up the help system.
>>> (Details: CL-INFO::LOAD-PRIMARY-INDEX: Condition in
>>> CL-INFO::LOAD-PRIMARY-INDEX [or a callee]: INTERNAL-SIMPLE-ERROR: Cannot
>>> find the external symbol *LOAD-PATHNAME* in #<"SYSTEM" package>.)
>>>
>>> Maxima 5.37post http://maxima.sourceforge.net
>>> using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.12
>>
>> Well, maxima-index.lisp refers to *LOAD-PATHNAME* which is in package
>> :common-lisp in other implementations, but in at least one
>> version of GCL it was in the package :system. My first guess is that it
>> has been moved into another package. Maybe it is now in :common-lisp so
>> we can omit the #+gcl in maxima-index.lisp?
>
> If I am not mistaken, the line to be changed is line 254 in
> build_index.pl. I just changed this line, recompiled and the help system
> works.

Greetings!  Yes this is what I've done in the test version of maxima in
debian sid too.

> Before I installed gcl 2.6.12 yesterday I had to install gcc-5 which is
> not in the official repository for Ubuntu 14.04.3LTS. With gcc versions
> prior to 5 gcl 2.6.12 doesn't compile. For this reason I used gcl 2.6.11
> the last months and I doubt that we can assume that all gcl users have
> version 2.6.12 installed and working. With 2.6.11 we need the unchanged
> build_index.pl. Is it possible to check the gcl version in build_index.pl?

gcc-5 broke the old gcl inline semantics, provoking a significant
change.  I tried to make the gcl code backward compatible, but haven't
tested this extensively.  If you have examples of non-compatibility,
please forward them to me.  Again, I take from the above you are
referring to the 2.6.13pre source packaged in debian sid as 2.6.12-21.
2.6.12 (packaged in debian stable as 2.6.12-1) should compile fine with
old gcc, and not with gcc-5.

> BTW, gcl is again 10% faster than sbcl.

Good to see gcl is useful at least to some.

Take care,