gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] The roadmap

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: [gcmd-dev] The roadmap
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:04:41 +0200

Hi folks,

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry...

The 1.2.7 was planned to be the last in the 1.2.x series, but I've
decided against it. The main goals now are:

        1. tabs
        2. replacing obsoleted code for GtkCList with GtkTree
        3. switching from GnomeVFS to gio/gvfs

Quite surprisingly 1. come to be the easiest one ;o) I've already
committed some code to the svn repo, and although it's not visible to
the user yet, it's quite promising. As soon as I get it completed, I'll
release it as 1.2.8 - very likely still in 2008.

2. Scheduled for 1.2.9, when implemented - it'll give the support also
for 'custom columns' (user defined columns containing selected metatags)

3. That definitely belongs to gcmd 2.0, although there is no 'pressure'
for it at present. As gio/gvfs doesn't provide support for more
protocols than GnomeVFS, there will be no visible changes to the users.
IMHO it's reasonable to expect it no sooner than in mid 2009.

Any suggestions?

Piotr