gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Thoughts on SFTP and rsync

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Thoughts on SFTP and rsync
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:49:55 +0200

Hi Pete,

Am Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:53:10 +0100 schrieb Pete:
> Dear all,
>
> After reading about [1], which is a simple GUI to SFTP with an rsync
> backend. I was wondering if such a feature was implemented within
> gcmd. I know there is 'connect to' via ssh. I had a cursory glance
> over the codebase for rsync but did not turn up any results. So I
> assume the current implementation uses SFTP to transfer files between
> remote and local.
>
> What are your thoughts on using rsync to move file?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Pete
>
> [1] http://bonhardcomputing.com/rsync-client/

Sorry for my late response on this.

Gnome Commander is currently based on Gnomve-VFS [2]. This Gnome
framework does all the remote connection stuff. The good thing is that
only this library has to be installed on your system to be able to use
ssh connections (or any other connection type which Gnome-VFS provides).

The bad thing about this framework is: it is old. Very old. It is so
old that some Linux distributions don't even have it in there
repositories, or that they want to remove it in the future.

Its successor is GVFS [3]. There are plans to migrate GnomeCommander to
GVFS. But unfortunately, this is a quite complex task, and I didn't
find the time yet to actively work on it. Nevertheless using rsync as
an external tool to copy files in GnomeCommander is not an option, as
we would create an external dependency, which is not really necessary.

Best
Uwe

[2] https://developer.gnome.org/gnome-vfs/
[3] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gvfs