gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] a few 'make' errors

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] a few 'make' errors
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 23:52:14 +0200

Hi!

Am Fri, 18 May 2018 15:05:03 -0500 schrieb address@hidden:

> I got thru the missing dependencies fairly well, for GC 1.8.1.
> After installing a couple missing dependencies, it said, type 'make'
> to build
>
> That worked until the very end, where it through a few errors.
> I'm not sure all errors shown are relevant to me (for English lang.)
> - some may be.
> I couldn't find much on these keywords - for Gnome Commander; but did
> read about Segmentation fault.  I doubt I have any control over a
> Segmentation fault.
>
> Before the line, "touch "de/de.stamp, output looked normal (to me).
> This is where it starts showing make errors:
> *****************
> touch "de/de.stamp"
> /bin/bash: line 4: 19472 Segmentation fault      itstool -m "${mo}"
> ${d}/C/index.docbook ${d}/C/legal.xml ${d}/C/releases.xml
> Makefile:723: recipe for target 'de/de.stamp' failed
> make[2]: *** [de/de.stamp] Error 139
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> '/home/Asswipe/Downloads/utilities/file-utilities/file-managers/gnome-commander-1.8.1/doc'
> Makefile:549: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> '/home/Asswipe/Downloads/utilities/file-utilities/file-managers/gnome-commander-1.8.1'
> Makefile:479: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> ***********************
>
> I searched the web for these individual errors.  I didn't see
> anything with enough discussion to understand how to fix the errors;
> or what to do about them?

Wow, this is pretty new to my. I googled a bit and found out that this
seems to be related to itstool:

http://guix-devel.gnu.narkive.com/l8HiwDvg/01-01-gnu-itstool-update-to-2-0-4

https://github.com/itstool/itstool/issues/17

Which version of itstool are you using?

On Travis, the automated continuous integration system connected to
GitHub, they are using version 2.0.2 of it and there it is working. See
for example the last build log from March 14th here:
https://travis-ci.org/gcmd/gnome-commander/builds/353551012?utm_source=github_status&utm_medium=notification
(See lines 2635 and 3614)

It could be worth to check for the itstool version you are using and
maybe update/downgrade it.

> Another question:
> In Readme, the steps listed show:
>
> % make                    # build GNOME Commander
> [ Become root if necessary ]
> % make install                # install GNOME Commander
>
> I assume that means become root (sudo) for "make install" (NOT for
> 'make'), where it may be writing to root owned directories, during
> actual installation?

Yes, exactly! :) First "make", and then "sudo make install".

Best wishes
Uwe