Re: [Getfem-users] Simulating electric field distribution

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Simulating electric field distribution
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 11:21:29 +0200

Dear Andy,

When you have the potential, the electric field can be obtained as a post-treatment since it is (minus) the gradient of the electric potential. You can simply interpolate it with

E = gf_model_get(md, 'interpolation', "-Grad_V', mfi);

once you solved your problem (mfi is the fem on which the interpolation is performed). You have to be aware that the gradient of the potential being discontinuous across the element edges for Lagrange elements, an average is taken when interpolating on a continuous Lagrange fem (you can interpolate on a discontinuous one to have the true gradient).

Yves.