Re: [Getfem-users] Curvilinear structures in Getfem

From: Jean-François Barthélémy
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Curvilinear structures in Getfem
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 00:41:21 +0100

Dear Yves,

Here are some small examples in Python on a simple beam [AB] made of 10 elements considered as a plane structure (problem in 2D). The mesh is loaded in GetFEM as a 2D mesh.

The file beam_bendmanual.py gives the solution of a beam in flexion and tension under the Navier-Bernoulli hypothesis. The formulation is built here by means of explicit indices in the assembly strings, which is what I would actually like to avoid with a complex structure made of arbitrary orientated beams. In this file, the displacement vector as well as the rotation of point A are blocked and a force loads the beam at point B. The stiffness are set to 1 for the sake of simplicity.

The file beam_bendgeneric.py gives the beggining of the attempt of a generic way to deal with the same problem (exploiting then the local direction). This file raises the exception mentioned in my previous email when trying to assembly. I haven't added the term of bending energy (involving the Hessian) nor the boundary condition blocking the rotation yet since they may not be as simple. For example the rotation should be blocked by imposing Grad_u.n=0 where n is the vector orthogonal to the beam direction but I am not sure that such a calculation of vectorial product 'n=ez x Normalized(element_K)' to get the vector n is available in the high-level assemblage syntax. Is it?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards
Jean-François

This should work, yes. If you can send me a small program that I can test, I can have a look to this problem.

Best regards,

Yves.