gfo-users

[Gfo-users] Missing relation from Reference Document

From: Ruth Truong
Subject: [Gfo-users] Missing relation from Reference Document
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 12:37:12 -0400

Hello,

My name is Ruth, and I am a research assistant under the employ of Dr. Constance Crompton at the University of Ottawa. We are comparing ontologies as groundwork for a Semantic Web project. Its aim is the development of a tool that will convert datasets into linked data. As such, I have made notes on the General Formal Ontology by looking at its hierarchy and definitions within Stanford's Protégé application. While skimming the reference document ("The Ontology of Medical Terminological Systems"), I noticed that a relation is missing from a sentence.

The paragraph goes on to elaborate its meaning, but the relation itself is not stated, and I am unable to piece it together using the subsequent description. It is the last paragraph of section 4.2 (Principal Distinctions). The sentence that is missing the relation says, "There is another basic relation for processes, denoted by ." Would someone be able to fill in that blank and inform me what relation should be there? Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

All best,

Ruth Truong