gforth

Re: [gforth] How to make executable binary applications?

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] How to make executable binary applications?
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:17:34 +0100

Am Sonntag, 6. November 2011, 23:30:21 schrieb Bahman Movaqar:
> I'm going to write an application using Forth.  The source of this
> application must *not* be readable by others.
> AFAIU if I create an image of the source, once still can 'SEE' the
> words after loading the image.  Is that right?  If yes, are there any
> ways to make an executable binary file (like a compiled and linked C
> program) out of a collection of Forth source files?
>
> BTW, I'm using Gforth.  TIA,

Gforth is under GPL.  If you plan to do that, you first of all need a GPL
exception, you cannot do that with the license under which you have obtained
Gforth - this is different from C, where the binary does not contain the C
compiler.  I think you can negotiate that with Anton and me, when you have
good reasons - making money is a good reason, but then you need to share some
of that money with us.

When you create the image out of the source, simply don't load the decompiler,
and don't allow the user to load something like a decompiler.  Otherwise:
There are decompilers for C available, so a C binary with symbols is not that
much more obfuscated.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/