gfsd-hackers

[gfsd]Re: Cobol missing on webpages and non-existent links.

From: Tim Josling
Subject: [gfsd]Re: Cobol missing on webpages and non-existent links.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:17:20 +1100

Paul Visscher wrote:

> > Case #2
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/cobol
> > says:
> >
> >   How you can help
> >
> >   The main need is for people with C skills to write runtime routines
> >   eg sort/merge. Contact the project via the link below and we can
> >   arrange for a task large or small, simple to extremely complex,
> >   depending on the time and experience you can bring to bear on the
> >   project.
> >

> > But there is no "link below".

I am quite happy for this to be changed to "the link above" which
would be correct.

> The Cobol for GCC page has no contact information(other than address@hidden
> and address@hidden) and there was no mention of cobol in
> fencepost:/gd/gnuorg/maintainers. I followed a link from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/cobol/gnu-cobol.html to SourceForge and
> found that Tim Josling is the project admin; I've CCed him on this
> message.

By all means add me to the contacts list on gnu.org. At present
it is not too hard to find but this would not hurt. I am happy to
make these changes if you like - who should I send them to?

> I don't think we want GNU projects hosted on sourceforge---isn't that
> what savannah.gnu.org is for?

It is on source forge. RMS suggested I consider moving it, which
I did (consider it). I had just moved the project and did not
feel like going through all that again. Since I have written most
of the code for the project (lots) I reserve the right to host it
just exactly wherever I please. Source forge has lots of useful
features I didn't find on savannah. RMS decided to anoint it as
GNU COBOL knowing it was on source forge - he did not make an
issue of it.

> > Case #3
> >
> > There is nothing related to COBOL in the Free Software Directory, and
> > there are at least three projects that can be seen at the pages
> > previously mentioned.

Happy to add it in as long as it is made clear it is not ready
for serious use at present.