Re: [Ghm-discuss] Paris - proposed accommodation option

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Paris - proposed accommodation option
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:00:49 +0200

On 06/05/2011 12:33 AM, Brian Gough wrote:
> Ludovic asked me to check on the list regarding accommodation for the
> GHM in Paris.  We normally suggest one place as a default option.
>
> We couldn't get any personal recommendations, so I have tried to
> find one based on internet research.  The best I could find was the
> IBIS about 100m from IRILL.
>
> We will suggest it as the default option unless anyone has any better
> recommendations?
>
> http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/ibis-avenue-d-italie.en-gb.html
> http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-5543-ibis-paris-avenue-d-italie-13eme/room.shtml
> Rooms have a safe & wifi. 100 Eur/night - everywhere in Paris is
> expensive unfortunately.

I live in the Paris outskirts, where life in general is significantly
cheaper than in the city center; apparently, so are the hotels:

http://www.hotel-listings-online.com/city.asp?languageCode=en&CountryName=France&CityName=Saint-Denis

I think it's not hard to find something better, since this is just what
I've found by typing "hotel" and "Saint-Denis" (the name of a small
town, just one train stop away from Paris).

Anyway I wouldn't know whether to recommend such an accommodation.
Personally I wouldn't mind at all if the place weren't high-class; but
if you don't speak French or you're clumsy, I warn you that it may be
slightly difficult to get around *outside* Paris.  Public transportation
is excellent, the only problem being that you can't travel past midnight
(more or less, depending on the zone) unless using the very slow and
infrequent "Noctilien" night bus service; there you can meet all kinds
of interesting people if you like metaphysical chitchat, but you are on
your own for reaching your hotel, which might be quite a walk.  I will
probably use the service myself if we go out late, as I avoid driving in
the city.  Taxis also work, but they can be expensive.

Some places in the northern outskirts are often considered dangerous;
anyway I've been living there for years now, and despite looking like
the ideal crime victim nothing especially bad has ever happened to me;
well, something happened to my car, but that's another story.

Unfortunately I live in a very small rented couple of rooms, and I won't
be able to let friends stay in my place this time.

> I'd like to be able to recommend a cheaper hostel place as well for
> people on a budget but I did not find any obvious candidates on
> http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/france/paris/

I don't know any hostel.  Ibis and Formule1 are large chains, very clean
if a little impersonal.  I've never used them in Paris.  There are
surely very small one-star hotels; there are also lower-class zones,
even within Paris, such as around the Gare du Nord.

> Since IRILL is close to a metro station it would be possible to stay
> in another area (cheaper?) and travel on the metro but my knowledge of
> Paris is not good enough for that.

Yes, unless traveling very late you can definitely get around by metro.
It's best if you plan in advance and print out the maps.  The Parisian
Transportation Network has a very nice web site:

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee

> If anyone has better local knowledge, your input is welcome.  We'd
> like to make a decision this week so we can announce it in good time.
> Thanks!

I'm sure some *real* Parisians can suggest something more precise :-).

- --
Luca Saiu
http://www-lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~saiu
GNU epsilon: http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon