Re: [Ghm-discuss] flattr donations

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] flattr donations
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 21:43:41 -0400

> I tend to agree with Neal.
>
> I don't in principle object to donating, but I'd rather not do it through
> flattr (although I have no better suggestion for online donations), and
> I always ask questions before I donate to such causes.
>
> For example:
>
> * I really would like to know who or what is administrating the funds.

The FSF receives the funds from Flattr and administers them.

We've also discussed setting up a fund directly under the FSF that
wouldn't require Flattr.

> * what happens to the $50 I donate if the GHM has to be cancelled for
>   whatever reason.

It would have to be "rolled over" to the next GHM. We're not currently
able to handle refundable donations.

> * What criteria are applied when assessing potential benefactors. In this
>   case since the general public are being invited to donate, it would seem
>   consistent to also ask them to apply for such travel grants.  I would
>   expect to see a "click here to apply for a grant" button next to the
>   "click here to donate button".

This is up to the GHM organizers (subject to final approval from the
FSF, but our concern will be based on due diligence things like
providing documentation/receipts; we expect the organizers to decide the
finer grained details like who out of the eligible pool should receive
reimbursement).

> With regard to operating costs, perhaps there is also the intention to do
> this,
> but a collection at the end of the meeting is probably the best way to do it.

This is also up to the organizers. There is no structural or FSF reason
why the funds can't be used for operating expenses; but the organizers
may decide they are best put toward travel expenses.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.