ginger-dev-list

Re: [Ginger-dev-list] Storage related tasks for future ginger releases

From: Daniel Henrique Barboza
Subject: Re: [Ginger-dev-list] Storage related tasks for future ginger releases
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:16:38 -0300

I agree with them all, considering of course that features such as delete a partition from the disk should be developed with EXTREME caution. heheheh

On 08/31/2015 07:11 AM, Harshal Patil wrote:
Hi,

Now that we are going to have a dedicated host management plugin (Ginger), I was thinking about what storage related things a plugin like this could be able to do.

I have listed some of the things that came to my mind. Let me know if you think ginger should be doing these kinds of things related to storage in future.

Disk partitioning (fdisk) -
   1. View partition table
   2. Create/delete/modify a partition on the disk

File systems -
   1. Display file system related information per block device/paritition
   2. File system related operations (whichever are applicable for the given filesystem) -
       a. Create a file system
       b. Mount/unmount a file system
       c. Resize a file system
       d. quota managemenent
       e. backup/restore
       f. repair (fsck)
   3. Filesystems to support - ext3, ext4, xfs
   4. GPFS as a cluster filesystem

swap -
   1. add/remove/list swap

Fiber channel (FCP) attached storage -
   1. activate/deativate a LUN presented to the given host
   2. Scan and initialize LUNs

ECKD DASD (System z) -
   1. Interact with CSS to enable/disable ECKD DASD devices
   2. Format a ECKD DASD storage so that they can act like block storage

    3. List ECKD DASD devices

LVM -
   1. Physical Volumes (pv) -
       a. Scan and list block devices
       b. Resize a pv
   2. Volume groups (vg) -
       a. Add/remove a pv from vg
       b. List existing vgs
       c. activate/deactivate a vg
       d. split/combine/backup/migrate a vg
       e. create/delete/modify/list a vg
   3. Logical Volume (lv) -
       a. Create/delete/modify/list a lv
       c. Create/delete/merge/list snapshot of a lv
       d. RAID support - 1/4/5/6/10

Harshal