Re: [glob2-devel] New unit proposal

From: Martin Nyffenegger
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New unit proposal
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:54:26 +0200

I'll respons somewhat in disorder, excuse me for this...
I'll past the propositions below to know what I am talking about.
[DIZ-1]
No per-unit settings !
Let me say that again: "no per-unit settings !"
Ok ? You'll mess up the essence of Globulations gameplay so far if you do that. You idea is not bad but consider: how do you distinguish between differently set workers ? Lot of confusion and miss-tuning in prevision !
[nct-1]
I like that idea. Will introduce some kind of information war. But we will have to have a way to guess what another player sees (or just let these units zone around one's base). For them attacking explorers is a good idea too. Perhaps they should attack as soon as en enemy explorer comes into their defined "darkening zone". But no attacking warriors please, will be way to complicated having them doing what you want ("No please, leave those warriors alone, I want my base hidden !") If every one agrees on the concept, we'll have to define those new units (or use explorers for this task as proposed). But let's hear everyone's propositions and ideas first
[nct-2]
Didn't you propose the same idea about a year ago ? I am still dubitatif if it is a good idea. It would perhaps be a to powerful weapon... have to think about this concept...
[DIZ-2]
? Isn't this already the case ? Or do you want a 256-intensity-level fog of war ? (Remember, when you are in the dark, it is usually just before things go pitch-black !)
I don't exactly get what you mean...
[Ravi Desai]
 You said something about papyrus, I don't think it is there
in all the maps (either that or I haven't noticed it).
Nope isn't indeed ! But no problem to add (long live syncmaps !)

I'm anyway happy to see the community move a bit again. For myself I try to add voice support for mac, but I'm new to the concept of CoreAudio, so it will take some time...

Barock
[DIZ-1]
* the first priority for units (that you cannot change) is to eat and to go to
hospitals if badly injured
* then come the following elements:
- go to upgrades (and which upgrades, walk, swim, attack, school, etc)
  - give resources to buildings (to swarms, inns, towers, etc)
- build buildings (and which buildings, swarms, inns, hospitals, defenses,
upgrade buildings, schools, etc)

It might be easy to imagine a triangular slider (or whatever) with the 3 main non-vital tasks, but I suspect that this might result in a major rewrite of the unit code and take a lot of time... It would be really fun and I really
love the idea, but let's hear what the developers think about it! ;)

The same idea could be implemented for warriors and what they should attack -
or with the future explorers.

[nct-1]
- We can have a new unit, let's call it magician, caster or shadow for now. This unit will undiscover the map around it for the enemy (i.e., recreate black). When upgraded, it could kill explorers. This way, the information control get a first place in glob2's gameplay. Ideally, it should be linked
to papyrus. I still don't know how it should be done (by a building, an
upgrade, a continuous consumption, per shot consumption, ...). On the
implementation side, this effectively bring ranged weapon ability to units. Nevertheless, it should be implementable in a reasonable time if we use the
bullet code.

[nct-2]
- We can have global effects. For instance, buildings providing prestige could recharge some global action capacities, which can be used globally. I can
imagine:
* mass conversion (convert all units on an area of map)
* garden of eden (a nice way to recreate wheat !)
* holy forest (you always loved trees didn't you ?)
* mass depression (remove all happyness of units on an area of map)
* eye of god (reveal the whole map)
* ... add your suggestion here ...

[DIZ-2]
If this per-user resource cache is hard to do - i have another suggestion, after a while the revealed land could get dark again (because old regions get forgotten). And perfect solution would be to make things get progressively dark after a while, that would look really neat! Like a radar - but slowly -
and each time an explorer flies by (or any other unit walks by) it gets
refreshed and brights up again. wow! :)