[glob2-devel] Threads ?

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: [glob2-devel] Threads ?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:30:12 +0200

Hi ...

I have been looking into the Globulation2 code a little, and of cause played the game i little too, and I like the framework.

I know that the engine need to be synchronous also regarding network comm., but it seems to me that the sound and GUI part don't need to be that synchronous, as it is only humans in the other end.

So why not use threads for at least the GUI/sound system (keep these two synchronous) and the game loop, and then later maybe make a thread for networking too (that insert commands into the main engine).

Also, the sound stream would get rid of this nagging "clicking" noise, because of the game loop.

Would this be a nice thing to have, or does anyone need globulation as a single thread game for some unknown reason ?

This would be a nice way for me, to get around in the code, in the process of learning.

Btw. are there any comment policy in the source code, besides no comments :-) ?

/BL