Re: [glob2-devel] Threads ?

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Threads ?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:21:30 +0200

Stephane Magnenat wrote:

So why not use threads for at least the GUI/sound system (keep these two
synchronous) and the game loop, and then later maybe make a thread for
networking too (that insert commands into the main engine).

Also, the sound stream would get rid of this nagging "clicking" noise,
because of the game loop.

The sound, with SDL, is threaded. A function is called when the sound buffer has to be filled.
Ahh, I didn't see that ... as I presumed it was not threaded due to the "clicking" noise :-) Maybe the sound buffer need to be larger and need to get filled up a little time before running empty (tress hold adjustment) ?

There is little sense at threading video as what is displayed is only computed by the core engine, so displaying twice the same frame is quite irrelevant.
Hmm, maybe it would keep the model more clean, to do it this way, but You know the code better than I.

Perhaps we could implement a drop-frame feature, but as with GL the display takes only a very small amount of CPU, I don't thing that's critical for now.
Some kind of invalidation calculation, so only needed gfx. gets updates, and user actions have its own thread (fast GUI update, no matter what is going on)

Just because all hardware gets faster, we don't need wasting power away on unneeded actions :-)

Well, feel free to add them when you feel it is necessary :-):-)
Thanks.

/BL