Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:11:47 +0200

Stephane Magnenat wrote:

Just a question about vm: How do you plan choose each bytecode and increment PC? Most vm (specially C ones) have a big switch to execute bytecode, but using inheritance of a class ByteCode with a virtual method execute is usually faster. Furthermore, this method can return the relative displacement that PC should do. Martin V. knows more than me about this.

Hmm, good idea ... I will try to think about it.

The reason why I use a switch right now, is to maintain some scope related states (stack frame, return addr and more) in the same function.

The price for a indirect function call is somewhat high as far as I know, so what I really need is a measuring of switch (between about 30+ items) versus virtual member function call.

Worth considering ! But as the VM part is the simple part of the job I could try both, later :-)

/BL