Re: [glob2-devel] Gameplay guidelines

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Gameplay guidelines
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:48:41 +0100

As I said in another post, I was writing up what we've been talking
about in this thread.  Here's what I've got at the minute.  I'll
probably keep on re-drafting it for days or weeks, but please comment
away.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, we should have a page on the wiki
for map ideas.  Here's one to start off with: it would be interesting to
have a map where one team has few resources but is close to water, while
the other has many but is not.

Anyway, the draft...

_Gameplay Guidelines_

Good gameplay is more of an art than a science, but there are some
basic principles that Globulation 2 tries to stick to.  These
guidelines shouldn't be seen as a definitive reference, but they are
an attempt to get at the spirit of Globulation 2, according to the
people developing it at the time this document was written.

_Some core principles_

* No micro-management
  This is Glob2's main selling point, and something that marks it out
  in many ways.  Globulation 2 is a real-time *strategy* game, and
  it's important that the player feels he's controlling the broad
  strategy of his civilisation rather than specific tactics of each
  individual unit.

* There's more than one path to victory
  Globulation 2 should be a game where every move has a thousand
  counters, and every counter a thousand weaknesses, rather than a
  game where you build up a great army and smash your unsuspecting
  enemy in one strike.  Combat shouldn't be the only way to win, and
  even when it is, there should be many ways of fighting a war.

* The more information, the better

  Although, like any game, the rules of Globulation 2 need to be
  simple enough to pick up quickly, the average Glob2 player can be
  assumed to know his way around a bar chart.  We shouldn't be afraid
  to present the user with useful statistics about the game in case
  they might not understand.

_Outline of a game_

As a general rule, a game of Globulation 2 should involve an
exploration phase, a building phase, and a competition phase.  These
phases can overlap with each other, but each phase requires different
skills, and should be fun in its own way.

The initial exploration phase involves finding out what your
surroundings look like, where you can find resources, how to guard the
borders of your territory, and where to start placing your buildings.

The building phase involves creating a large and successful town.
Depending on the situation, this might be large or small.  There will
be geographical obstacles to overcome (such as your town becoming
overgrown or running out of resources).  The town will grow in
different ways and at different speeds depending on the way it's
managed.

The final competition phase involves defeating your opponents.  This
can be through direct means, such as stealing resources or fighting; or
it can be indirectly through converting or prestige.

A game of Globulation 2 should last long enough that the player has a
chance to enjoy and strategise over each phase, but carry on at a pace
that keeps the player on his toes.  An hour or two is a good length
for a game.

        - Andrew