Re: [glob2-devel] Gradients (again)

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Gradients (again)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:16:39 +0100

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 10:27:38PM +0200, Leo Wandersleb wrote:
> Andrew Sayers wrote:
> >For those that don't already know, Globs find their way around the world
> >by means of gradients.  We discussed it on the ML a few months ago.  The
> >thread is archived online at:
> >     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2005-07/msg00014.html
>
> hi Andrew
>
> I like your plans of simplifieing the gras-water-concept. what i'm
> actually missing is some non-resource natural wall. what's the idea
> behind makeing impossible to warriors to trample down the enemies fields
> while walls and turrets are destroyed rather easily. so i would vote for:

We've talked about this on IRC, but for the sake of the ML - it wouldn't
be too hard to invent a "mountain" resource (like the "deep water"
resource I've just suggested in another post), which would do what you
want.

In my opinion, allowing warriors to clear resources would change the
game dynamics a lot, and I have a feeling it would be a bad thing.
However, the plan is eventually to move from fixed
worker/warrior/explorer unit types to more general abilities, which
would make it possible to experiment with this.

> gras has normal speed, sand has half speed and if trained to swim at
> all, water has 1/4th speed.
> its funny that globs consume less when in water, but it does not really
> contibute to gameplay. at least not to minimizing mcrmngmnt.

Again, there's a post winging its way through the Internet as I write
this saying the same thing, but the whole issue of training brings
problems which need to be tackled.  On the other hand, full/half/quarter
speeds might well work fine :)

> /me wants some idle-mode for unemployed workers and warriors. perhaps it
> would lead to some nice gameplay, if globs could stay in inns
> (chillout-room for 20 globs), when fed and not needed outside but still
> being able to book courses at scool and thelike. that would perhaps
> lower that chaotic action in big towns :)

Let's leave this argument for another day :)

        - Andrew