Re: [glob2-devel] My thoughts on the new gamplay for alpha 15

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] My thoughts on the new gamplay for alpha 15
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 01:50:10 +0100

>    To bring up a few more thoughts:
>
>    1. Not exactly game play, but I think it would be nice to have a feature
>    of check boxes before the game as to what all is enabled. say, a checkbox
>    for if fV will be enabled, if allies are allowed, game speed, if clearing
>    will cause damage to health, etc.
>
>    2. recording! It would be awesome if you could record a game!
>
>    3. a button for taking screenshots
>
>    4. ability to modify key shortcuts
>
>    5. jackd support. Because I use a m-audio 1010LT card I have to use jackd
>    and I don't get audio.

All good ideas - if you're willing to muck in and try, please do.  I
have no idea when anyone else would get round to this stuff.

>    6. when using SDL, the game should force you to only be able to use
>    640x480 as even with an opteron 242, gig of ram, and 128mb nvidia graphics
>    card it's horribly slow at 800x600 or higher and causes the game to lag
>    for everybody.
>
>    There also seems to be a problem at higher resolutions where the game
>    becomes really slow. It sucks horribly when this happens

This shouldn't happen - I suspect there's something wrong with your
system.  Have you got OpenGL turned on?  If you're using Linux, are you
using NVidia's own binary driver (rather than the horribly slow XFree86
driver)?

There's also the issue that large maps take up more processor time than
they should - which of course is something we're always working on.

        - Andrew