Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar desync

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar desync
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:36:39 -0800

On 1/19/06, Nuage <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Look, I don't have the time nor the patience to learn fixed point
> > decimal algorithms, of which I would need many to be able to work. Its
> > quite a waist to make my own integer class especially when their are
> > many already made, and many of those could be easily imported into the
> > source. Especially the rational class from boost, which would single
> > handedly solve my problems. Many boost things would solve my problems,
> > I certainly don't see why not using boost is such a big problem, when
> > the usage of boost has such substantial benifits. Boost can almost be
> > garunteed to be on every linux system, and windows is definitly not a
> > problem, boost has portability in mind, and for the one (there would
> > be only one) person making the compilation on windows, installing
> > boost for the compile would be a snap.
> >
> > I've hinted at it many times already, Boost is a good thing. Can we
> > please drop the dependancy issue against boost, and have it before
> > 1.0? It would make life, my life in particular, allot easier, and the
> > code would be plenty more beautifull.
>
> Fixed points is nothing to learn about it's just a way to use integers in some
> cases. A kind of trick.
>
> Example. If you want to make it simpler, let's use power of 10, and a 2
> decimal
> precision. In this case an integer with value "100" is interpreted by humans
> as
> "1". Here you can typecast anything to fixed by multiplying by 100.
>
> int intToFixed(int i) {return i * 100;}
> int fixedToInt(int f) {return f / 100;}
>
> And instead of "100" power, using a power of 2 can slightly improve speed in
> some cases.
>

> Now about boost dependency. I don't really know about the extra work and
> complexity it adds, but I have nothing against it. Note that I make no work at
> all to maintain the packages and other things like this related to the
> dependencies. Maybe someone else will disagree. What about the boost macosx
> support by the way ? So just tell us about boost so we can agree or not.

One of Boosts major concerns is about portability, so they work fine
on MacOSX, and from what I hear, osx has a binary of boost with it as
well, so it should provide no problem. I'm mainly targetting nct, who
tries to keep an eye on dependancies. As well, a full fixed width
integer class is not simple, especially when it comes to devision and
multiplication, where as multipling to decimals shrinks the result,
and deviding by a decimal increases the result, quite the opposite of
what the default integers do, which is why I so desperately want to be
allowed to use Boost, which provides a full rational number library
that would solve my problems. There are also a variety of otheer boost
libraries which would come in very handy, and adding a dependancy for
a single Boost library is dumb as boost generally comes (on all posix
systems and their windows binaries) as one big collection rather than
individual libraries.